View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 10:29 PM   #18
ikkitosennomusha
Quote:
C.E. Clark (Chuck Clark) wrote:
Hi Peter, How's tricks?

I'm sorry to be a rebel, but in my understanding the answer is "both" and it isn't an easy answer.
If anyone has ever trained in Japan, you will notice a distinct difference in methodology of that between American and Nihongo sensei.

In Japan, the sensei will demonstrate a technique fairly quickly a time or two and then you will have to do it. There isn't much broken down explanation of the technique so you have to learn to be very articulate in your analysis of what the sensei is doing. Not much persoanl attention. I find a little more instruction here in the states.

Now, whether you are in Japan or the states, a students goal is to emulate your sensei and your sempai. The relation between student and sensei is one of synergy. Without either, training would not be possible. Some sensei will not take much ukemi from their students but to have students, a sensei must take ukemi for them. This is the respectable thing to do. So notask of them what you will not do yourself. So, the idea is that everyone should cultivate a begginer's mind. If you are in this state, everyone is equal in the sense of humility and servitude.

regards,

Brad Medling