View Single Post
Old 03-10-2004, 06:32 AM   #4
Greg Jennings
Dojo: None at the moment.
United_States
Re: Variations of Technique

Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote:
I went to a dojo that taught the Iwama Style.
As we've discussed, that's debatable.
Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote:
The whole time I was there, we were always taught that our way was the right way and we always shown why techniques done in others ways were wrong, ineffective, and most of all, not traditional.
Ego and marketing.

That said, there is a sort of *right* way to do the Iwama basic forms. That doesn't mean that there is one right way, ultimately, to do the technique.

The kotai/katai (rigid) form is only the first step. Then there is the yawara-tai, ryu-tai and, finally the kitai or "takemusu aiki" level.

It's in the final stage that one liberates the form. Shu-ha-ri.

If anyone doesn't understand that it's a four-step evoluntionarly process, they don't understand diddly about the Iwama pedagogical method.
Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote:
Now I am in the Aikikai and learning that there are many different variations to techniques and they all have their advantages. I'm never told that the way I used to do a technique was wrong, but that it was just different.
You now train in a school that doesn't have a structured, 4-step learning process. It's a more unstructured, holistic method based on individual discovery. There's nothing better or worse about it. It's just a different path up the mountain.
Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote:
I've also found that I sometime have to do a technique differently, depending on who I'm doing it to. (i.e. someone bigger, stronger, or real flexible) But is this okay? Should we vary our techniques, or should learn to do the technique where as we can do it to whomever without having to vary them?
I can always create a situation where you will have to vary or that the technique won't work at all. It's just that in early training, students don't have any foundation for what they need to vary for what dimension of change.

In most aikido schools, one learns the foundation and the freedom all at the same time.

In other schools, Iwama, Yoshinkan, Shodokan, etc. One has a basic form that one learns to give one the foundation. The freedom comes later. OK, there are little parts of it along the way, but I'm talking about the big area under the curve, not the tails.

In the final analysis, who gives a rip? My first instructor summed it up nicely "Just shut up and train". He meant that it was tha we were training that mattered, not what we were training in.
Quote:
Nafis Zahir wrote:
Chiba Sensei once said at a seminar, that we shouldn't get locked in to doing a technique one way. We should always search for a better way. However, Chiba Sensei can do nikkyo to anyone and alot of aikidoka can't, even though they've been training for a long time.
None of us are Chiba Sensei...

Regards,

Greg Jennings