View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 11:03 PM   #21
William Westdyke
Dojo: Aikido at the Center
I have a semi-similar story to Lan. I had a friend at a place I worked who was a brown belt in Kenpo Karate. He said a friend of his who was a "blue belt" in aikido worked his teacher over pretty good one day. I started seeing aikido at the martial art that makes someone untouchable in a fight.

I continued with aikido for the first couple years because there was tons of martial artists that where VERY high ranked in other martial arts practicing at the beginning, intermediate, and advanced levels at my aikido dojo. In all honesty, they could, as I would say then, "kick my ass" with there other skills, yet they studied Aikido.

Now, after 6 years, I study because an uke occasionally hits me. I still get my bell run about once a week and love knowing I still have much to learn to get to the level of O' Sensei and the other great teachers. (Laughs) I still have a lot to learn to get to the level of my instructors.

William

"You, not anyone else, is 100% responsible for your own happyness and wellbeing." -- David Robertson