View Single Post
Old 03-08-2004, 03:57 PM   #12
Aikiscott
Dojo: Central Coast Aikikai
Australia
When I was a kid I had practiced Shotokan Karate, Tae Kwon Do & a Free style Karate, but I hadn't trained in anything since I was about 17yo. I my late twenties I started to put on some weight, so I decided to go back to Karate, but found that most of the Dojos in my area were either of the McDojo variety or were overly competition focused which didn't appeal. Then I remembered an article I read when I was younger about Osensei in a local MA Magazine & thought it was pretty cool stuff, So I started to look for Aikido in my area, but found that the closest Dojo was a 45min train ride away & I wasn't able to make it down in time for the class started due to work.

One year later A friend came in with a list of activities at the Local Youth Club & Aikido was offered, so I rang the instructor & told him I would be there the Next training night. I walked into the Dojo & introduced myself & found the Sensei to be a slightly eccentric English man but very good at Aikido. I was hooked from then on. He is responsible for a little mantra that I use regularly in my daily life "JUST DO IT".

I keep practicing manly because it is always challenging, and that we have a very charismatic Sensei & great group of students & I was fortunate enough to join the dojo in it's formative years and have been able to help it grow, so I have a sense of being at Home when I train.