View Single Post
Old 03-05-2004, 03:15 PM   #72
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Atemi

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
George. Agree totally. Not all atemi have to land. What I was trying to convey is that atemi that do land can be integrated in the flow or blend of the movement in such a way as to not disrupt the energy of the attack. I was responding to previous comments and perhaps I did not make myself clear.
Sure, I figured, just using your post as a launch pad for another thought...

Think I'll do so again.

If atemi isn't going to disrupt the "energy" of the attack, I think the key is the rhythym... (you mentioned "timing" a while back I believe) Every attack has a "beat" so to speak. For beginners the notes are all whole notes, but as we progress the beat gets faster and the elements of the technique take place as half notes, quarter notes, 32nd notes, etc. But no matter how quickly we are moving, the atemi, in order not to disrupt the flow, takes place on a "half beat". So a technique which has three movements could be said to take three beats. The atemi, if it is the type we are talking about now, will not disrupt the three beats but will fit in between... 1 - 2-atemi-3.

Anyway, this is just one type of atemi. There are certainly atemi that are designed to strike and are designed to "cut the ki" of the opponent so as to prevent him from blending with your technique to produce a kaeshiwaza.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com