View Single Post
Old 03-04-2004, 05:50 PM   #13
George S. Ledyard

Dojo: Aikido Eastside
Pressure

Quote:
Janet Rosen wrote:
It was a couple of yrs ago I realized there is a difference between imposing a technique and finding a technique, and started working on finding the difference.
One of the things I have been doing in my own technique is trying to find the place where there is no increase in pressure when I do the lock or the throw. For instance, on kotegaeshi, once you have established contact and begin to position for the particular technique you essentially have a "grabbing hand" and a "matching hand" (I realize there are a number of different versions of this technique; that's not relevant to the point at hand).

As you position the partner's hand for application of the technique there is a certain amount of pressure which you apply to establish a center to center connection with the partner. Ideally, that should be sufficient to allow the throw or takedown, if you will.

Most of the time people do this technique by establishing this connection and then torquing on the joint. This works if you are stronger than the partner or they have a low pain tolerance but it will not work on someone who is very resistant or simply doesn't feel the pain. With some people the wrist will sustain damage before the body's balance is broken. If you apply technique in this manner you will find that you need to crank harder and harder to get the technique to work.

But there is a place where the technique works without any increase in pressure. It is the seam that runs between my own zone of strength and that of my partner when we come together (not unlike the line that runs in between the yin and the yang in the yin / yang symbol in which the tomoe, those black and white drips, flow around one another).

Appliaction of technique in this manner reuires "whole body movement". Those who trained with Kuroda Sensei at the Expo will have experienced this concept. Basically, once the proper grip is established for the kotegaeshi, the rest of the technique happens when you move the body without changing the energy you are puuting in to the hands. The hands move simply because you move.

You can play with this conecpt on any throw or lock but it is easy to get a feeling using a simple technique like kotegaeshi.

George S. Ledyard
Aikido Eastside
Bellevue, WA
Aikido Eastside
AikidoDvds.Com