out of sheer curiousity, and perhaps an interesting debate or two..
Who does everyone think has or is the most influential Martial artist of the 20th Century and why?
My Vote is For Jigaro Kano, Now before we start the character attacks on me. Let me say a few things: A) I am an aikido instructor b) I do train in Judo c) I research budo a lot.
Kano gets my vote for many reasons.
1. He was a full generation ahead of O'sensei
2. Was the first to organize the Classical systems in a way to preserve them.
3. Wanted to instill the classical bujutsu ideals in the trainees.
4. Advanced the idea of Mutual prosperity of Martial artists.
5. Aikido was able to be spread due to the "riding" of Judo for its initial spread i.e. France.
6. Was an intellectual and scholar.
Now this is in no way to dismiss the contributions of Osensei or everyone elses personal fave, merely an expression of opinion. So let me know what everyone thinks.