View Single Post
Old 02-22-2004, 05:52 PM   #11
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
Quote:
Larry Murray wrote:
Saotome once said to a group of Aikidoka after class I attended that the Spirit of Aiki

is to always strive to be better.

"Not just on the mat, but in each thing you do in life".

He said we will all have days that the right way will seem less easy that the wrong way, but the right way will, in the end, prove the easiest.
The more I think about this, the more I like it; the more I consider it, the more it makes sense.

This makes a lot of sense with the idea of karma--doing the right thing, in the long run, makes things a lot easier. Also, if one continues to do the right thing even when it is hard, it will make him or her stronger. The more one does what is difficult, the easier it becomes. There was this story of this Tibetan archetypal hero, and one of their sayings is that he would not nearly be so strong if not for all the things his archenemy did to him. And I think that doing a good job in whatever you do, in the long run, usually pays off, despite it being harder in the short run. One is known as a good worker sooner or later.

This just seems to go with the natural way of things, at least from my point of view, in a less conctual way than thinking about karma, etc. But then again, I'm putting my own ideas onto the statement without really knowing its context and the way Saotome Sensei thinks, so I'm probably way off from what he meant.

Last edited by Anders Bjonback : 02-22-2004 at 06:07 PM.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith