View Single Post
Old 02-12-2004, 06:12 PM   #20
Peter Goldsbury
  AikiWeb Forums Contributing Member

Dojo: Hiroshima Kokusai Dojo
Japan
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
Good point, Steven. I've sent in a "bug report" into the folks at Bu Jin Design.

The way I tie my hakama, though, is very much like the "Traditional Method" shown there and is probably about the same as the one that Peter Goldsbury relates above. I tuck the front himo under my belt rather than tying it into a bow near my chest, though.

-- Jun
Yes. If you use a judo-style obi, then there are these other possibilities. As I stated in my earlier posts, students favour tucking the top of the hakama (including himo, of course) inside and below the obi. If you do this, you have the choice of tying the himo inside or outside the hakama, usually at the front. I use a wide, wrap-around obi, of the type favoured by Fujita Masatake Shihan, wound tightly around the waist, as is traditional with obi, and so there is no point in tying himo underneath this.

With the traditional 2nd method I described above, the himo are always tied outside the hakama, never inside. However, the first method leaves the back panel of the hakama, below the koshi-ita, unencumbered with himo, which are wound round the body underneath.

The method of tying the final knot is very well explained in the Bujin illustrations, but very few people here know this method. They usually use a reef knot and leave the himo ends hanging down, which used to upset traditionalists like the late Arikawa Sensei.

Actually, tying the hakama can become something of an obsession and it needs to be remembered that the hakama is just a garment\a complex piece of cloth, and any way of tying it is OK, so long as it does not fall down during practice and you do not trip over it.

But if I give a demonstration, especially here in Japan in front of older shihans, this is a good chance to remember to make sure it is the correct length (the keikogi bottoms should not be seen below the hakama) and that it is tied properly\with the 'Bujin bow'.

Best regards to all,

P A Goldsbury