View Single Post
Old 02-03-2004, 09:55 AM   #33
egoebel
Dojo: Aikido of Ramapo Valley
Quote:
Mark Dobro (Doka) wrote:
This is not "wrong"!

As Sh'te/Tori/Nage, we should not expect Uke to be right there where he should be, otherwise we could just do the technique any old way and scratch our nuts at the same time!!! We put our Uke there, we lead him/her there!!! If they are not there then we are wrong!!! If you "Suck" at being Uke, it is not wrong, because then every beginner would be wrong, and they are definitely not!!!
Yes they are. ('They' include me, BTW.)

Ukemi is 50% of training, so it follows that a beginner would have this half wrong too.

Part of ukemi is not getting hurt, maintaining a connection with nage, maintaining balance during the attack....and a whole bunch of things I can't name off the top of my head. Probably why my ukemi is 'wrong' much of the time. A proper attack is only a small part.
Quote:
Lets face it, if you cannot do the technique properly, do not blame your Uke! A bad workman blames his tools!!! A bad Sh'te/Tori/Nage blames his Uke!!!
You seem to be jumping to the conclusion that the people that agree that uke can be wrong are also complaining about it. As a matter of fact you say 'expect Uke to be right'. I don;t expect uke to be right, and I certainly hope (s)he doesn't expect me to be completely right either. We're both practicing.

Should an errant uke ruin the technique for me? No.

Should (s)he ruin my training day? No.