View Single Post
Old 01-25-2004, 11:18 AM   #4
L. Camejo

Dojo: Ontario Martial Arts
Canada
Re: legal randori techniques

Not like I can say what happens elsewhere, but to me randori is supposed to be a random, pretty unstructured practice (unless one is practising it to train specific elements). In which case the only tenet is to do "Aikido" techniques and remember the spirit of protection of your Uke.

In the event of Shodokan resistance (toshu or tanto) randori for competition, the techniques allowed are the basic 17 from the randori no kata which you can see here http://www.ttac.0catch.com/animtech.htm

In this case, the attacks tend to be limited to certain types by Uke, and Tori is also limited, mainly in an attempt to maintain the safety factor with a seriously resisting uke. In my class we tend to vary attacks more, with with a commensurate decrease in resistance on the part of uke so that things dont end up in an all out brawl
Quote:
Maresa Sumardi (indomaresa) wrote:
1. I've watched many shihan's randori, and SOME of them did some very un-aikido-like techniques such as legsweeps or just simply pushing the uke away.
Sometimes when ma ai falls apart and attackers close distance, one may resort to some techniques that may exist in other arts they have learnt or simply a very very basic aikido response, like using kuzushi to thro or take down instead of applying a finishing technique. For me, if I fall back to judo/jujutsu/striking in randori i see it as a loss as I am training to maintain and use my Aikido training and control when under pressure, not escape to the nearest exit.
Quote:
2. During randori, I sometimes find that when cornered to a particular position, I had the urge to ROLL / ukemi out of the attack (in - between two attackers) or crouch and kaiten myself out of danger.
Have rolled out of techniques in judo randori (esp. juji gatame). I generally try not to in Aikido by not letting myself get cornered, or using the corner to my advantage, but if all else fails I think I have rolled out of danger a few times in the past. If nothing else, it gets ya out of danger quick . I guess its legality depends on who's watching/running the session. Of course doing ukemi in a way that places you in a dangerous position for attack can't be right.
Quote:
3. Sometimes when we are taken down we found that we can extricate ourselves and roll back to standing position. Should we continue the randori? Or do we fail? ( I'm just asking this one in the case of an examination, in the dojo we can probably continue ) Or, what If an uke's attack connects? can we continue the randori?
In randori for competition if one is thrown by a successful counter of which there are only 5 options (atemi waza) for the guy holding the tanto in tanto randori, the engagement is normally stopped and restarted as points would have been awarded for such. As far as Uke connecting, generally we continue in normal training, in tanto randori however, if a proper strike is landed (i.e. in posture and tanto sunk properly into uke's chest) the bout is restarted as a point will be awarded against Tori for being hit. I remember being grazed on the chin by a karateka when doing some randori after a seminar I conducted (this was not for demo, but they wanted to see what I had), before it even registered that he had connected he was on the floor with kote mawashi (nikkyo) so I guess it depends on one's objectives as I said before.

Just my thoughts.

L.C.

Last edited by L. Camejo : 01-25-2004 at 11:26 AM.

--Mushin Mugamae - No Mind No Posture. He who is possessed by nothing possesses everything.--
http://www.tntaikido.org
http://www.mushinkan.ca