Thread: What the hell?
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2004, 06:19 PM   #109
JasonFDeLucia

Dojo: Aikidog Aikikai
Quote:
William Oakes (SmilingNage) wrote:
Well to say you are an Aikido teacher and not ever been taught in Aikido; That does leave yourself open to be criticized and rightfully so. You arent teaching Aikido, its your own special take on martial arts. You and what you are doing have no ties to Aikido. Take a look at what you call your style, combat Aikido. Look at the word Aikido and see what it translates to in english, the way of peace/harmony. So the name of your style is the combative way to peace/harmony? I guess it means I will beat peace into you. Maybe you mistook peace for "piece". Thus, I will beat you into piece(s)as your style's name would make sense.
once again you show what you dont understand.

the kanji for aiki has many allegories ,but the true literal martial meaning is to harmonize with every intension in order to control it.which is why hapkido is aikido.are you going to tell koreans that they can't use the kanji for hapki simply because it doesn't jive with your romantic notions of having a deeper understanding of peace and love ?no .these were allegorical translations by a very religious, pious man who wanted to make it more than just a martial art.but the fact is that the aiki kanji denotes the axioms and principles of the military form and it is a happy coinsidence that they validate pious precepts.harmony of energy militarily means ,when pushed ,pull,when pulled ,push,

when pushed ,turn,when pulled enter.you do not know this because you study from the religious perspective which was derived after the military.the kanji existed long before mr.ueshiba allegorized it.and if you've done your home work yould remember some significant quotes from mr.ueshiba...aikido is 99% atemi .thats right ..atemi.that means striking .i figured i would interpret it for you since you didn't know what aiki really meant . wakata?jason delucia