View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 08:59 PM   #35
rachmass
Dojo: Aikido of Cincinnati/Huron Valley Aikikai
pardon in advance

Hello Morpheus

Pardon this extremely long response, but your last response to this post made me wonder what happened that got under your skin. I have cut and paste snippets of the conversation in trying to figure out what happened.

The quote that started the thread:
Quote:
I'm getting ready to begin studying Aikido with the intention of eventually teaching and running a dojo (however many years that will be in the future).
response:
Quote:
Don't get ahead of yourself. ^_- It will probably be quite a while before you're ready to open a dojo.
Now this wasn't a negative comment, just an observation based on experience that it takes a long time to get to that point.
Quote:
The length of time it takes you to be able to be proficient enough to start a dojo is really quite individual. Going into aikido with the idea that you want to be a teacher is quite premature IMHO. I've been practicing regularly since 1982(3) and only started teaching in 1994(5). I didn't open a dojo until 2002. When I started, teaching was about the furthest thing from my mind. It has just been a natural progression of my practice.
This was my comment, which was that it is a long haul and it was not on my mind when I started; it was a personal response, which I think is what you were looking for.
Quote:
I think it is ok for someone to train with the goal of someday being a teacher. A lot of wishful thinking would be clarified if people did this I think.
The above is a thoughtful response from an experienced teacher.
Quote:
Yes, firecrackers usually disappears without a trace
Quote:
The candle will burn out longer and illuminates more
two comments that were more towards the discussion that Mr. Ledyard and I were involved in rather than the comments to your questions.
Quote:
It's certainly good to have long term goals as long as one has realistic short term goals that will eventually result in getting there.
Good obeservation
Quote:
If a new student says they want to become a teacher and have their own dojo, then I would simply remind them that they need look at their schedule, commit themselves weekly to a minimum number of classes and to being at all the seminars we have
also a good observation
Quote:
If a child or teenager said they wanted to be a school teacher when they grew up we'd support them and think it's a good thing. Show up at a college with the same attitude and we'd be thrilled.
this is true, but I think for a large part it is answered by the quote three down.
Quote:
As for someone starting Aikido with the ambition of being a teacher; why not? Providing they are prepared to work at it over a long period they should acheive their goal.
Quote:
I wouldn't worry about Fuku, Shidoin, Sensei..... If you're committed (and who among us that have trained for awhile shouldn't be ) the ranks and titles will take care of themselves. For now, and then, train hard.
Quote:
I think it's great that a student loves aikido so much that they want to teach it to others. As long as they channel that desire into being a dedicated student, it's simply great. It's just when a beginner starts talking about having their own school that I think they have either been touched by the pixies or on the dark side a potential to be a future problem.
Quote:
I'm not offended, so no one should get that impression. However, for those who have so much more experience, assumptions about someone's motives should be reserved until they get to know more about the person. I welcome any dialogue on this.
As Mr. Rehse pointed out, we probably all thought you were a younger bloke or teenager. This has been a common subject on this forum by some younger members. Thank you for explaining yourself.

In any case, remember this forum is for people to exchange thoughts and opinions, and so it is natural that there will be disagreement. I think you got a good cross section of opinions from a bunch of folks, at least 4 teachers included.

You are fortunate to be located in an area with very good aikido, and should have a very enjoyable experience with the art. Hope to meet you some day on the mat

best, Rachel