Old 01-16-2004, 03:05 PM   #32
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Quote:
Asim Hanif (AsimHanif) wrote:
Great analogy Erik!
except

they are thrilled because the likelihood of making a decent living from a college education is a lot higher than from obtaining an aikido teaching certificate.

There are teachers in my region trying to make a living at teaching aikido. In one case it was a childhood ambition fulfilled. I look upon them as the blessed insane. I hope they can succeed but the commercial aspect of needing to put food on the table for your family has certainly created problems in those dojos. Running a dojo for profit is in my experience a bit of a culture clash with the general aikido culture. Those who pull it off successfully are very few.

I think it's great that a student loves aikido so much that they want to teach it to others. As long as they channel that desire into being a dedicated student, it's simply great. It's just when a beginner starts talking about having their own school that I think they have either been touched by the pixies or on the dark side a potential to be a future problem.

Too often in the martial arts, it occurs that a student doesn't have the patience to train long enough. Many quit but for some others... Just this past month, a friend sent me the website of this 20-something kid who had spent a few years (2-3) getting a karate shodan with a local respected teacher and then went out on his own to start a new school, got an organization to give him a 10th dan rank of his new improved karate style and calls himself 'soke'. Opened new family oriented school, created fancy website, etc.

of course the commericalism already present in karate means it's possible to make a pretty good living if you cater to kids like he is doing.

If someone aspires to teach because they love the art, great. You don't have to run a dojo to do that. Many dojos would love to add classes taught by someone who is qualified and loves to do it. On the other hand, if you are a beginner and that doesn't appeal to you as much as having your own dojo, I think it's only natural for a teacher to wonder about your reasons.

You may turn out to have good reasons, but there is no shortage of bad ones IMHO.

Craig