View Single Post
Old 12-18-2003, 09:38 PM   #16
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Quote:
Justin McCarthy (justinm) wrote:
...You could study all 10 techniques over the ten years, mixed up, which is pretty much what we all do, or you could dedicate the first year to technique number 1 only, eg ikkyo, second year on number 2 and so on. One technique per year. Dedicated, focused training on that one single technique, day in day out. Think of the level of insight on each technique you could achieve doing that.

So do you think you would be a more capable aikidoka at the end of year 10 if you trained that way?

Justin
This reminds me of a chief instructor on the West Coast. One day he walks into the dojo and announces "Now, we'll look closely at Ikkyo." From the young aikidoists who liked trying a variety of throws, there came a collective groan.

One month later, they were still doing Ikkyo. Day in and day out, the only technique that was practiced was Ikkyo. People were saying, "We've got to get rid of this crazy, old guy."

While cooler heads tried to prevail, the teacher was reassigned to another area. I can't say how everyone felt about this incident. But before he died, this instructor was heard to remark,
Quote:
I think I've finally gotten the hang of Ikkyo.
I guess that's what really counts.

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You