View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 05:34 PM   #15
Tim Griffiths
Dojo: Nes Ziona Aikikai
China
I'm with Frank on this. No-one's wearing a hakama or a shiny belt here, and a 12 year old who's thinking about doing aikido when he goes to college looks like a guy with 30 years training.

Maybe Jun can add something to the introduction: "Welcome to Aikiweb. If you're used to mailing lists, forums and chatrooms, come on in. If you're a well-respected sensei, with a great knowledge of aikido, but who is quite new to the internet and unaccustomed to the disrespectful, argumentative behaviour that passes for the norm when online, then for God's sake stick the "Voices of Experience" section, where everyone is nice, and steer clear of the rest of it, unless you're really looking for the biggest virtual wedgie you've had since high school".

I think there's a lot of complaining for a bunch of people who are, let's face it, paddling in the shallow end of internet culture. Kelly - compared to the aikido-l list, or (God help us) rec.martial-arts, this place is a bastion of respect and restaint. Still, I don't really expect civil behaviour online any more than I expect the Queen's English in an txt message.

Yes, its a shame to see Furuya sensei leave. But its as big a shame to lose the 12 year old - maybe they could have really learned something from us.

Tim

If one makes a distinction between the dojo and the battlefield, or being in your bedroom or in public, then when the time comes there will be no opportunity to make amends. (Hagakure)