View Single Post
Old 12-14-2003, 06:46 AM   #41
Nick Simpson
Dojo: White Rose Aikido - Durham University
United Kingdom
Thanks for the points Michael and Bronson, I'll try it out on monday. I had a pretty good time with Shihonage on friday night, I noticed two beginners doing it without taking uke's balance so that it ended in a stalemate, uke standing up straight and tori trying to muscle them down.

I managed to take both of their balance several times and even if I messed up the shihonage itself, I illustrated how it didnt matter becuase uke was off balance and falling or open to another technique (good way to cover your mistakes eh? ). I also showed them the variation where you crank on ukes wrist more and force their elbow into them, I think I must have been inspired that night

The problem though is a young lad whos about 11 or 12, he spins out of shihonage, and obviously I cant crank it onto him like I can put it onto an adult who is of similar size to myself. I illustrated the fact that if he spins out I can choke him from behind or that if I was to do a practical shihonage on him it would break his arm (he seemed to like that, bloodthirsty little git) but he continued to spin until my sensei was forced to try it on him whereby he had to basically kokyunage the kid because he would hurt him if he forced the shihonage. I think we have to teach this kid some more respect...

They're all screaming about the rock n roll, but I would say that it's getting old. - REFUSED.