View Single Post
Old 12-04-2003, 08:24 PM   #14
Michael Young

Dojo: Alamo City Aikido
Maybe it would be helpful to discuss a bit about what the philosophy(s) of Aikido is/are. I suspect most of us were attracted to Aikido for various reason, but most of us have stuck around for the very fact that we begin to understand and love the philosophies of Aikido, and the fact that there is an actual physical manifestation of those philosophies in what we do on the mat. And, just like the physical part of Aikido, we gain a deeper and deeper understanding of these philosophies about Aikido the more we practice.

Here are some of what I believe are "philosophies" of Aikido,(not a comprehensive list by far...just my limited understanding and opinions, oh yeah one more disclaimer, I'm not a student of philosophy)

Agatsu- defeating your own ego,improving yourself

Masa Katsu- doing things correctly

Katsu Haya Hi- always being in the moment/doing things with the right timing or at the right time, realizing the realativy and "formlessness" of time

Ai, Ki, and Do- always working to find harmony in all interaction, both positive and negative (i.e. conflict);making this a lifetime search or "way",

There are a lot of other ways to think about and contemplate on the above concepts...but then that is what practice and getting good instruction are for, right? Again, the whole physical manifestation.

I just thought of another way of looking at it too. Reverse it, so that the physical things we do become philosophy or principles that can be applied to living:

maai,

tenkan,

irimi,

moving from the center,

keeping your balance and posture/bearing at all times,

finding a compromise between too much tension and too much relaxation,

harmonize with the attack

You SINCERELY practice the physical principles, you begin to understand the philisophical. In fact it would be difficult, if not impossible, to do otherwise.

I could keep going I think, but I'd like to hear some more from others about what philosophies and principles they think are manifest in the technique and vice versa.

Mike