Thread: Cross Training
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2003, 08:53 AM   #11
paw
Daniel,

I'm not Lynn, but I hope neither you nor Lynn mind ....
Quote:
hi lynn, good point. after reading this thread thus far, i still wonder what is "in shape" ?
It depends. Who's asking and in what context? A world class marathon runner has fantastic "wind"...and I'll bet they wouldn't last ten minutes in a boxing ring before "gassing". The runner is "in shape" for running, but not "in shape" for boxing. The boxer is "in shape" for boxing, but probably not "in shape" for running a marathon.
Quote:
a bodybuilder is in muscular shape,but how many bodybuilders do aikido? the few that i have trained with are very strong
Full stop. A strong bodybuilder is an exception to the rule. A bodybuilder is strong compared to a regular person, but compared to a strength athlete the same size (powerlifter, olympic lifter, strongman competitor) they aren't even close to strong.

Back in the day, the current Mr. Olympia (best bodybuilder in the world) was known for his "heavy" deadlifts (over 500 pounds!) He was 270+ at the time. As a mediocre powerlifter, I could deadlift 500 at 165. The top lifter's in the world are pulling 600+ at 165 ---- and that's in front of judges in drug-tested events, not some gym lift for a photo shoot.
Quote:
ps-not knocking you muscular people out here but i wonder as i look at the highly proficient/elite athletes in aikido
What do you mean by elite athlete? For me that would be a nationally ranked competitor or higher.

Second, not all elite athletes are created equal. An elite runner isn't going to much (if any) carryover with their physical ability an aikido (running is too dissimlar to aikido). An elite judo player would (the physical demands of judo would be similar to aikido).

Regards,

Paul