View Single Post
Old 11-13-2003, 11:02 PM   #12
Kevin Wilbanks
Quote:
Jim Baker (jimbaker) wrote:
The way I teach it is that in every single attack, the guy has a knife in his other hand. If you've been touched by his other hand, you've been stabbed. It does focus one's attention!

Jim Baker
This seems like silly talk to me. Adding this arbitrary assumption to practice in earnest would distort and limit Aikido training in a massive way. A razor blade or sharp knife can cause serious damage with almost no pressure, where an open hand cannot. The options available to nage are reduced considerably with the introduction of a serious blade threat.

Practically speaking, if I think you have a box cutter or Bowie Knife in your non-attacking hand, Aikido techniques are going to be pretty low on the list of options, whereas running for the exit or grabbing a nearby object and pummeling you are going to be my primary thoughts.

Even in a hypothetical training context, taking this assumption seriously makes no sense. What is the purpose of tanto training - isn't it redundant? If uke has a knife in his free hand, why did he commit his balance to a strike or grab with the weaponless hand in the first place? In general, it would greatly reduce and narrow the possible responses to most attacks, and practically eliminate them all for ushiro attacks of any kind.

Also, I don't see how you could expect beginners to cope with this assumption: "Yes, just assume that every technique you attempt for the next five to ten years will be a failure that would result in your death. Happy training!... Oh yeah, and don't forget to relax!"

Last edited by Kevin Wilbanks : 11-13-2003 at 11:04 PM.