View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003, 11:00 AM   #25
ikkainogakusei
Quote:
Ian Hurst (happysod) wrote:
Jane, "3] Your muscles do not contain gray matter," - we know, but for me it's easier to say "let you body learn, so stop thinking" than "we're training your [insert limbic system or whatever here] to counteract some of your non-beneficial learned behaviours such as.... and hopefully reduce the time delay between threat and effective counter". I admit, I'm lazy!
Hi Ian,

I certainly agree (not the lazy part, I'm sure you're not lazy), that goes with the 'you think too much' portion of what I was trying to say. The reason I mentioned that muscle memory is a misnomer is because people run with things like that and I hear quite a few silly leaps. So you know this, but I have heard many people who do not have this understanding, who literally believe that a muscle has a memory.

What I like to say to a student who stops him/herself during the execution of a movement is 'Just commit to the movement. Your consciousness is only a small part of your brain. Think less and do more, your brain keeps track of what feels right and feels wrong.' and if they ask me to elaborate later, I tell them more.

So yeah, thinking too much or giving too much information is not beneficial when on the mat, it's fine off the mat.

"To educate a man in mind, and not in morals, is to educate a menace to society." ~Theodore Roosevelt