View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003, 07:14 AM   #21
drDalek

Quote:
Craig Hocker (kironin) wrote:
Because from an evolutionary standpoint of at least the last 70,000 years, we are highly social animals. Intelligent adaptive cooperation in groups is our killer edge and not the Clint Eastwood ice in the veins loner type. Primitive base culture is a social web of knowledge/skills for survival passed from one generation to the next. The well-being of our neuroendocrine system really depends on our status in our groups.
This is a pretty cool explaination, I never thought to consider the fact that we are social creatures and that these "good / Aikido" behaviours might not be that necessarry inside a social group context.
Quote:
Fear makes us focus but also functions in most of us to seek avoidance of confrontations as individuals. An individual in a group that does not have the typical physiological reactions that make us to prefer avoiding conflict can be a real problem for a group's function. Probably either destroying the group (a sociopath) or the group kills such an individual.

On the other hand, a typical human is very much empowered to action while operating in his group.
Ah, and what if you manage to lose that "fear" and act in a counterintuitive way to conflict but still acceptable within the group, what does that make you? A hero, a messiah? O-Sensei?
Quote:
As to bad physical habits, I would suggest this is more the values of groups in modern societies. I personally know nobody in my social groups cares if I have a well-balanced stance appropriate to throwing a spear with accuracy and power.

Craig
I have been getting some rather coy smiles from the supposedly less sexualy aggressive (lies I tell you!) gender after I started doing Aikido, something I attribute to a relaxed, upright posture and general feeling of confidence.