View Single Post
Old 11-04-2003, 02:24 AM   #18
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Quote:
Wynand van Dyk (drDalek) wrote:
Why do we have to work so hard to develop them? Shouldnt we already have all these if we managed to survive and evolve to the point we are at right now?

Wouldnt natural selection have weeded out the members of our species with weaker strategies like tensing up, freezing, holding their breath, having bad posture etc.
Because from an evolutionary standpoint of at least the last 70,000 years, we are highly social animals. Intelligent adaptive cooperation in groups is our killer edge and not the Clint Eastwood ice in the veins loner type. Primitive base culture is a social web of knowledge/skills for survival passed from one generation to the next. The well-being of our neuroendocrine system really depends on our status in our groups.

Fear makes us focus but also functions in most of us to seek avoidance of confrontations as individuals. An individual in a group that does not have the typical physiological reactions that make us to prefer avoiding conflict can be a real problem for a group's function. Probably either destroying the group (a sociopath) or the group kills such an individual.

On the other hand, a typical human is very much empowered to action while operating in his group.

As to bad physical habits, I would suggest this is more the values of groups in modern societies. I personally know nobody in my social groups cares if I have a well-balanced stance appropriate to throwing a spear with accuracy and power.

Craig