View Single Post
Old 11-01-2003, 09:01 PM   #23
maynard
Dojo: St. Pete Aikikai
Congrats Holmes,

I thought I'd mention some other stuff, that I don't recall seeing posted. You've probably heard most of it elsewhere.

First, when I was at college, I was amazed at how much of an effect a seemingly small amount of exercise had on my blood sugars. Just walking to campus and from class to class helped keep my blood sugars down.

Second, you'll probably notice that stress causes your blood sugars to be higher. This would be both emotional stress and stress on the body like sleep deprivation or illness.

Hrmm.. to avoid straying too far off topic, we'll make an Aikido reference. If I'm only training weapons, since there isn't really any rolling type ukemi, I usually only take 1 unit less of my before dinner insulin.

Oh, the other side of waking up at 2:00 a.m. in a cold-sweat insulin reaction is waking up at 2:00 a.m. to go to the bathroom because your blood sugars are too high.

Also, no matter how well you think you're doing at managing your blood sugars, you'll find times when your sugars are higher or lower for no apparent reason. Stuff happens, if you pay attention, your body will remind you.

Well, got to run, good skill (not good luck, it's mostly up to you) with your diabetes management. Your posts don't sound like you're depressed about the fact that you have diabetes, but if you are, the way I look at it, 100 or 150 years ago, I would be dead by now so I'm thankful for that.

John

Last edited by maynard : 11-01-2003 at 09:04 PM.