View Single Post
Old 10-29-2003, 12:29 PM   #16
Bronson

Dojo: Seiwa Dojo and Southside Dojo
Well, you can add my girlfriend to the list. She's in a sling with ice on her shoulder right now after a visit to the emergency room at freakin'-o-clock this morning.

She's got the same injury I had (detailed above) but to a lesser degree that I had it. She actually did hers in the dojo however, not dinking around on hard floors.

She's pretty new and got confused about hand/foot placement in the ukemi and tried to roll over the arm that nage was holding. Buried her shoulder into the mat and seperated the AC joint (the spot were the collarbones and shoulder meet...I think)

She toughed it out for most of class because she was embarrased about it and then went home to bed hoping it would be better in the morning. It wasn't. I got the call at 4:00 this morning when she couldn't get out of bed due to the pain.

So a trip to hospital, a sling, some Vicodin and Motrin, and some sleep later she's up and dealing with it.

Now onto my soapbox.

IF YOU GET HURT, DO NOT BE EMBARRASED BY IT. GET IT LOOKED AT.

I speak from personal experience on this also because that was one of the very stupid reasons why I didn't get my injury looked at sooner (although no insurance was a bigger one). The potential long term effects of these soft tissue injuries healing improperly are not worth the imaginged ding to your imagined pride. Suck it up and get yourself well.

I'm off the soapbox now. Thanks for letting me vent

Bronson

"A pacifist is not really a pacifist if he is unable to make a choice between violence and non-violence. A true pacifist is able to kill or maim in the blink of an eye, but at the moment of impending destruction of the enemy he chooses non-violence."