View Single Post
Old 02-01-2001, 04:51 PM   #19
Erik
Quote:
Jim23 wrote:
The point that I was trying to make was that although aikido is a GREAT martial art, my general observation has been that people do not train at punching. Punches ARE done, but are usually done just to set up the next move - nothing wrong with that. Just don't try to punch in a real fight unless you are a strong person or you train at punching. It's just common sense.
For what it's worth I like what you are doing but I'm a troublemaker too. I just sit around all day working on a computer so I get bored and amuse myself.

By the way, I agree with the above.

Quote:
REK wrote:I agree with your point about training to strike. It is well and good to know where atemi may go, it is another thing entirely to be able to deliver one. Some of the members of my dojo train in other martial arts specifically for the purpose of providing better attacks as uke. For example, its hard to train in Aikido's responses to kicks if none of the ukes can kick well. Some people just focus their training differently, I guess.
This has been my own experience as well. I was fortunate to have a teacher who believed in atemi but even then it was rarely taught as such. Any limited punching skill I have is largely because I worked on it outside of class.

[Edited by Erik on February 1, 2001 at 03:58pm]