View Single Post
Old 01-31-2001, 05:09 AM   #7
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
abstain

I had to abstain from the vote 'cos I thought voting either way would not really show what I thought.

The problem with competitive aikido is that you loose either:
1. the ability to do techniques with the potential to cause serious injury if you have to.
or
2. the smooth blending which you can get in practise through a degree of uke compliance

Which one it would affect obviously depends on your style.

HOWEVER I do think that much of aikido in practised in an unrealistic manner and competition could re-inject more realstic uke responses (though this reduces the potential for nage to actually do damage due to non-complaince of uke).

I think what is very important in traditional (non-tomiki) aikido is to have good 'focus' on what the technique is all about. i.e. where you can do additional atemis or strikes during the technique, where you can injure or break peoples arms/wrists. Also, the response of uke is appropriate to the technique and way you do it (i.e. you assume uke has some compliance because this is a staged response, and we would do the technique differently (or a different technique) with a different response.

Therefore what you gain with one you loose with the other.

I have not trained in tomiki enough to criticise it authorititively, but I would say more freestyle randori in traditional aikido is beneficial in breaking over this gap between a formalised response from uke into a multitude of different responses. Everyone that has done randori knows that it is very different to normal practise.

Ian