Old 10-07-2003, 11:27 AM   #13
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Ki Symbol

Quote:
Drew Ames (jxa127) wrote:
Peter,

Kisshomaru U. had what I think is an excellent discourse on ki in "The Spirit of Aikido." If I recall it correctly, his definition of ki is that it is unity of mind, body, and intention.
This is a pretty good definition. Of course one needs to find ways to communicate to students what exactly is unity of mind, body, and intention. (As a neuroscientist, I would tend to classify intention as part of "mind"). That in my experience is what Koichi Tohei Sensei's Ki development classes are really about, how to do it? what does it feel like? how to test another student so they learn to get it (grok it). I would agree that if you haven't some systematic way of teaching students to gain a personal understanding of what you mean when you say "Ki", there is no point in using the term in your classes. Then it would just be jargon or a cultural term if your native language is Japanese or if you grew up with Dragonball Z.

To the original poster...

There are certainly teachers outside of Ki Society or it's offshoots that grok Ki and those that are good teachers I am sure have found some way to transmit this understanding. However, Tohei Sensei's over riding concern, at least as I understand it, has been to come up with a pedagogy that is not so dependent on the transmission of outstanding teachers who happen to grok it. That is the real purpose of the exercises that too often are misunderstood or abused as demonstration tricks. These exercises are meant to be taught with rigor as a check of real understanding instead of believed understanding. An exercise is worth a thousand words.

The main part of the Ki exercises we do has it's roots in Tohei Sensei's long time training in Shin Shin Toitsu Do under Tempu Nakamura. That's why we do undebendable arm (Orenai Te) and a number of other exercises. Tempu Nakamura had western scientific training as well as eastern training, and it is reflected in the nature of the testing we do. We can extend this sort of testing to any aikido exercise we do.

I think it is certainly possible to use different exercises or training regimes as long as one finds an approach that is able to have the rigor sufficient to test real understanding. I am personally not aware of any teachers outside of Tohei Sensei's influence that do this. If you feel a lack of this in your training then a good start would be to pick up Carol Schifflett's book "Ki in Aikido" for a large sample of what we do. There is no better example of just doing it rather than talking about it. I would also highly recommend you pick up H.E. Davey's book "Japanese Yoga". He put a lot of work in to it and it shows. It will give a very good sense of the whole approach and some historical context. Both books in my opinion capture the sense of experimentation and self-discovery that is the part I like best about the Ki Society. I think you can't go wrong checking out these books and finding someone to experiment with but be sure to take what is said to heart and try your best to approach it with an open mind. I think it will greatly deepen your understanding of aikido.

--

If you find this really appeals to you, you might seek out a teacher. Tohei Sensei has many books that also are a good source and there is a newly English version of his classic "Ki in Daily Life" that would be worth having as a third book. It's a very good book, but I think it is easier to appreciate and put in context for those who haven't trained in the Ki Society if one goes through the two books I mention above.

Having read a lot of what Tohei Sensei has written, I am always struck when I read something O-sensei has written that discusses Ki or even mention's Ki, how much they are in aggreement.

Craig

Houston Ki Society