View Single Post
Old 10-05-2003, 09:15 PM   #23
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
I never said there was anything wrong with what he has or has acheived. His ambitions have been well rewarded by Hollywood. I only said there was something wrong with the expectation that I or anyone else in aikido other than his direct students should thank him.

Nor did I mean to imply I was respecting someone more just because they had a low income. However, among those teaching aikido, most do not make a living doing it, most that I am aware of it are doing it on a volunteer basis often putting their own money in to keeping things going. Of those doing it full time, some are retired, some have side businesses related to aikido, and others are heads of organizations with many schools. If any of them have become millionaires from teaching, I would be surprised. Possibly this is because they have not been willing to make compromises of a McDojo to squeeze out high profits. Is it possible to make at least a five figure salary in the martial arts ? Yes. Do comprises have to be made in doing so ? At least from the examples I am familiar with, yes.

so excuse me if I would rather thank and give recognition to the teachers who have made a lot of sacrifices for aikido with little expectation of monetary gain or fame and a high expectation for their students.

think about that.

Craig