View Single Post
Old 09-29-2003, 11:16 AM   #13
kironin

Dojo: Houston Ki Aikido
United_States
Re: reply

Quote:
John Riggs wrote:
There are some issues with instructors that stop training-they show up and teach. They never attend seminars, they never study videos, they never read, they don't try to move themselves forward. Burnout? Who knows. There are instructors like this out there. Their stasis can become yours. However, there are instructors out there that do constantly push themselves to progress. It is a training mindset.

Entering the mat with the mindset that you are going to learn something every time you step on the mat will prevent a lack of personal advancement even if you feel your instructor is boring you. When you approach your training with that mindframe, you will never feel stuck or bored no matter what. You will find that even the instructor who keeps doing ikkyo over and over will be able to help you grow.
Nice reply. I think I might add that a teacher should step on the mat every class they teach with the expectation that they are going to learn something. That for example even if I am teaching ikkyo, I be very open to what is occuring at the moment of showing or teaching ikkyo. I might notice something that takes the class in a direction I didn't expect. I have taught ikkyo several classes in a row, but I would bet my students didn't realize it at the time that they were being taught the same basics in each class because the apparent variation.

The first couple of years I taught a weekly class, I had pretty specific lesson plans and wrote down notes and shared them with another assistant instructor teaching a weekly class. It was some work but also a good exercise while we were getting confident about teaching. I think we eventually stopped doing it as we felt more and more confident of walking into a class and just teaching based on our intuition. We were both teachers professionally outside of aikido.

My shihan had a rule. If he taught three classes in a row without learning something himself, he would quit Aikido. That apparently never happened in 30 years.

Craig