View Single Post
Old 09-22-2003, 11:59 AM   #8
ian

Dojo: University of Ulster, Coleriane
Some questions are useful and some aren't. In our class I'll answer any questions that can be answered quickly and don't directly lead to more questions; longer answers have to be reserved for times when you're not training. Otherwise many students would spend all their training sessions philosophising about self-defence.

The more I train the more I've realised why certain things are done as they are. Unfortunately these cannot be easily explained to beginners, especially if they have no experience of real fights. I now think utlimately (as a self-defence) we have to defer to an authority who have used these techniques in life or death situations repeatedly. Thus I'm quite keen on retaining quite traditional training and technique methods.

Although many instructors, including myself, could give a good argument for doing one thing and not another, practical training methods require simple techniques which can be done instinctively and effectively in a variety of situations. Just because we can theoretically justify it, doesn't mean it is true. (but by the same token, if a student doesn't understand why they do a certain thing it can make progression slow).

Ian

Last edited by ian : 09-22-2003 at 12:09 PM.

---understanding aikido is understanding the training method---