View Single Post
Old 09-15-2003, 11:06 AM   #3
Nick P.

Dojo: Sukagawa Aikido Club of Montreal
Quote:
Jun Akiyama (akiy) wrote:
If I may be so bold as to say so, I think there seems to be in many aikido circles a pervading sort of sense of aikido xenophobia. It seems as though many believe, "If it's not done the way we do it, it's done wrong." Ugh.

If aikido isn't about learning to understand people from seemingly disparate walks of life and cultivating the ability to appreciate and understand these differences (and, usually, see that these differences are actually minimal if not complementary or even non-existant), I don't know what it is.

Cross-affiliational and cross-organizational events allow these sorts of bridges to be built.

Behind the differences in our basic movements, our kamae, our terminology, our etiquette, and so on exist "real" people, after all.
I couldn't agree with you more. So far I thought the only way to get "exposure" to these kinds of "differences" was to go to a seminar or visit a dojo while away on a trip. Then upon returning to regular practice it was up to me to (attempt to) understand and then reconcile the differences I had seen.

The fact that highly skilled Shihans and Senseis get together and agree this might be a good thing to do on such a large scale...well, it puts a big grin on my face.

PS- Jun, when and where is the Toronto seminar? I looked in the Seminars section and could not find it. Thanks!