View Single Post
Old 09-14-2003, 05:24 PM   #11
tedehara

Dojo: Evanston Ki-Aikido
Quote:
paul watt (paw) wrote:
...First, combat sports do train outside their weight class --- just like aikidoist do.
Yes, combat sports do train outside of their class, but they traditionally train for a confrontation within their weight class. However, you are still correct, because the more modern free-for-all type matches don't have weight restrictions.
Quote:
Third, there's a bit of a "holier than thou" undercurrent in this statement. You can make your point with reasoned responses, and keep the barbs out of it. In short, don't confuse the context. A combat sport fellow isn't going to restrict themselves to sport strategy any more than an aikidoist is going to, once again, drop into seza if attacked.
My second and third statements relate specifically to judo.

When judo started after WWII, there were many black belts who didn't know judo. They got excellent tournament results, but that was because they restricted themselves to two or three techniques. They practiced those techniques exclusively because they knew they could win tournaments with them.

Years ago a judo guy here was in a fight. He used a shoulder throw which is a common effective technique. But it turns your back on your opponent, even if momentary. He died after the guy knifed him in the back during the throw.

I know aikido practices ushiro (back) attacks, but that's to get you use to having people around you. In a real fight you can't have someone behind you. You can see that in ju-jitsu, where you keep your opponent in front of you.

A combat sports person must keep themselves within the rules of the game in order to win. Look what happened to Tyson after he bit off his opponent's ear.

Generally I try to keep my posts short. However, by doing this I lose out on giving the thoughts behind my statements. Thanks for giving me an opportunity to explain myself. After re-reading my own statements, I can see why they would be interpeted as "barbs".

It is not practice that makes perfect, it is correct practice that makes perfect.
About Ki
About You