View Single Post
Old 09-08-2003, 02:48 PM   #48
jxa127
Dojo: Itten Dojo -- Mechanicsburg, PA
Furuya sensei,

My degree in college was in communications, and I learned a bit about journalism and TV/Radio production. I quite agree that the TV show producers ought to have better research, and that the editing process can make anything incomprehensible. (I very seriously doubt the ability of any TV show to produce reliable documentary material any more. As a result, I've not had cable TV for almost seven years.)

Anyway, thanks for sharing your perspective on the whole process.

For what it's worth, my first introduction to aikido was through a role-playing (D&D) magazine with an article about martial arts a character could use. The description for aikido was pretty facinating and it stuck in my head. This was when I was in middle school. A few years later, the G.I. Joe comic book series had a character who knew aikido. Again, it pricked my interest. Finally, when I was in high school, I enjoyed some of Segal's early movies and was again enthralled by aikido.

Compared to those strange sources of inspriation, a TV show with an actual, highly experienced instructor showing good technique sounds like it would be exceptionally cool for those who (like me) are predisposed to finding out more about aikido.

I'll have to see if I can get my parents to tape it if it comes on again.

Regards,

-Drew

----
-Drew Ames