Thread: False sense?
View Single Post
Old 08-25-2003, 04:22 PM   #23
Corey
Dojo: Kai Shin Kai Chesterfield, MO
First, I just want to say I love reading everyone's opinions on each of these topics. About the false sense of doing techniques correctly thing, it took me two gradings to understand what that is all about. We have a 5 kyu system. After I got 5th kyu, suddenly I found that none of my techniques worked anymore lol. Same thing happened after my 4th kyu test. I was like, "Do I know nothing? Have I learned nothing?" (I am now at 2nd kyu and finally got the point a while ago.) But the thing is with each grading the uke in my dojo begin to apply more and more resistance in order to help each other reach a higher level of understanding and ability. I don't know if they do this in other dojo. I would imagine they do.

Also in the last couple of months, I have started seeing good ukemi as being just as important as being nage. Imagine facing a fight and treating it the way you do when you are uke. A good uke knows how to take a technique without getting hurt. Uke learns how to take a defensive attack and nage learns how to deal with an offensive attack. But when you think about it, what's really the difference? Both are ways to keep yourself from getting hurt.

Knowing others is wisdom;
Knowing the self is enlightment.
Mastering others requires force;
Mastering the self needs strength.
~Lao Tzu