View Single Post
Old 08-22-2003, 04:04 PM   #13
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
I love tea ceremony tea, but for some reason, I just don't like other Japanese teas. I've always prefered Oolong (in excessively large quantities).

As for Bronson's suggestion, to "stop trying and allowing it to happen naturally," I think that on some level it is true, but on another level, one needs to put in some sort of effor to bring one's practice into his or her life. In meditation, in the beginning, one needs a method of support, such as the breath, but after it becomes more natural after years of practice, one can just rest in ease and spaciousness, allowing it to happen naturally. In the beginning, too, one needs to try to cultivate bodhichitta, or the wish to attain enlightenment for all sentient beings, rather than just leaving things be. Without some level of effort, life can distract one from his or her practice, and get swept off into old habbits.

I think that on some level, it may be the same with tea, aikido, and other practices, not just Buddhism.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith