View Single Post
Old 08-20-2003, 09:03 AM   #4
Anders Bjonback
Dojo: Boulder Aikikai
Thankyou!

Reflecting on what I wrote... I regret being so critical about the article. I should be thankful that there is something spreading or educating people on the Way of Tea, despite how I perceived it. Oh, well. I didn't say I was a good tea student, or that I wasn't a hypocrite.

You know, once I asked my tea teachers about the tea cereomony tea, and whether it was good for multiple people to drink out of the same cup. They said that tea has intrinsic healing properties, for the host is putting their life force, i.e. ki, into the tea as he or she whisks it.

So, I guess, in a way, if I served you tea, you would be drinking the Essence of Anders! (That joke usually earns me some nasty faces from my friends as I serve tea to them.)

Something more about simplicity... in chabana, in the flower arrangement in the tea room, there is often just one flower. What is more profound and beautiful, or which do you notice more--a field full of flowers, or one flower thriving among the rubble?

In the movie Rikyu, Rikyu had all the flowers in front of his tea room cut off their bushes. He then kept one flower inside the tea room. Then his guest, as he came into the tea room, having seen no flowers outside, saw the one, beautiful flower inside, and it really caught his eye.

In the tea room, you avioid any kind of repition. If you have a yellow flower, you aviod a yellow tea bowl, or a tea bowl with yellow flower designs. I'm not sure of the actual procedure as it pertains to that, but I think that's the idea.

Also, too, Rikyu preferred tea bowls that retained their natural qualities. And a tea bowl with a drip of glaze here or a small crack there is more interesting.

"For peace and happiness are presences, not objects we can grasp and hold onto."
--Lilian Smith