View Single Post
Old 08-19-2003, 03:53 AM   #56
David Yap
Malaysia
Quote:
Frank Olson (TheFallGuy) wrote:
(snipped)...

I think Ahmad and Alec make a good point too. But then it may just be semantics. If your goal is to actually hurt your partner, then you are in the wrong place. NO respectable MA appreciates or wants that type of behavior or attitude. I tend to agree with other masters of other arts (Wing Tsun, Pa Kua, etc) that the dojo is a place of learning and we are all "family". We all have different skills, and abilities, and reasons why we are there...(snipped)...
Frank, I agree wholeheartedly.
Quote:
Ahmad Abas (Abasan) wrote:
David Y, if you come back to class... we can address this type of attack if you wish…(snipped)… But, to say sensei has nothing to teach you is very arrogant indeed… (snipped)
Abas, I think you may have misunderstood my definition of a sincere/honest strike. Last time in class, when I said that there should kime in an attack -- kime actually mean focus NOT a forceful violent attack. VIOLENCE has no place in a dojo (aikido, karate or any MA for that matter). A sincere attack with focus means taking aim at the target (top of the neck, side of the neck or at abdomen) and striking at the target WITHOUT any second thought (or mischievous thought like maiming your nage or stopping s/he from carrying out the intended technique). All kata in Aikido are in the form of a two-persons drills -- the nage knows before hand how the attack is coming and the Uke knows before hand how his/her attack is going to be received and neutralized by the Nage. Take the drill Yokomenuchi Shihonage Ura for example (I am sure you remember this particular one ), here I assume the role of a Uke and I know before hand that the Nage is going step forward to my side to jam/cut my strike to off balance me and then take control of the attack. As a Uke, I don't think about all that, my immediate role is to strike at the intended target , the side of the Nage's neck, and I would also consider varying the speed of my strike based on the Nage's level of skill/ability. I DON'T stop (or think about stopping) my strike half way -- that is mischievous -- to do so would be unfair to the Nage and dishonourable to oneself. Bear in mind, the target is the Nage's neck NOT the Nage's extended arm. While we are on the subject of this drill, let's talk about Awase (blending), it is the Nage's initiative to blend with the attacker, off-balance the attacker and then take control. The Uke once knowing that s/he has lost his/her balance should THEN blend with the Nage (and NOT BEFORE) to avoid any injury to him/herself -- there is no point fighting/resisting to the very end. There is a line between stupidity and egoism.

What then is a "REALISTIC" attack? There are no definite answers. They all depend on the intensions of the attacker or the defender in different situations below:

In a dojo drill -- a sincere attack described above would suffice

In a sports competition

In a bar fight or street fight

In shiai -- fight till death or till the last man standing

It depends what goes on in your mind, the last three situations definitely would have no place in an Aikido dojo or any dojo for the last two. If you are looking for these, then, sorry to say you are in the wrong place as O' sensei would have say, "You got evil intentions".

Finally, I don't understand your statement "to say sensei has nothing to teach you is very arrogant indeed". I have gone through my earlier posts and checked that I have not specifically mentioned that which and which sensei has nothing to teach me. Learning is a continuing process and I do learn something new (+ve or --ve) any other day from anyone at work or at play, including from my own children. I think it has come to the stage of my life that what I seek from martial arts is not so much on techniques but more on spiritual development (finding myself so to speak). I am not looking for a teacher who can/will show me & the class 20 techniques in one session and then another 20 techniques in next session and so on. But if you are, I can recommend one to you and, boy, you will be awed by his collections of video tapes from every shihan in the world. My criteria of a teacher goes beyond that...one day you will understand.

You do agree that teaching Aikido on a commercial venture and for the love of art is tough balancing art. BTW, I guess it is all about finding students with the right attitude or having a teacher with BUDO attitude to lead them there. Thus, I end this post with a quote from Kisshomaru Ueshiba, 2nd Doshu of Aikikai.

"Again, it is true that there are a number of poorly informed people who mistakenly view Aikido as some kind of health promoting exercise, a kind of dance, a form of martial mesmerism, or some such thing, and, as we mentioned earlier, even reference works confuse Aikido and Aikijutsu. Let it be clear, however, that Aikido is Budo, a martial art. Aikido is a refinement of traditional martial techniques combined with an exalted philosophy of the spirit. It is a method of forging mind and body."