View Single Post
Old 08-14-2003, 09:41 AM   #2
Ron Tisdale
Dojo: Doshinkan dojo in Roxborough, Pa
United_States
Daito ryu is the only art I know of that has a specific curriculm that references aiki -- as in aiki no jutsu. A specific set of techniques that is intended to teach a specific set of principles relating to the use of aiki in technique.

I have seen other arts claiming the teaching of aikijujutsu...almost every single one teaches some varient of what they consider "hard" aikido, or aikido with hard throws, atemi, chokes, etc. Almost every single one of them has no link whatsoever to daito ryu. A few have tenuous links at best.

From my limited exposure to Daito ryu, I'd say "hard" technique is **not** what sets it apart from aikido (strong jujutsu may be a part of what is taught, or not). Taking the balance at first contact, the use of subtle or not so subtle invasive aiki, a specific type of atemi (not warmed over karate or chinese style striking), and strong linear evasion leading to close maai in a superiour position; in my experience, these things seem to denote a strong daito ryu influence.

Some notable exceptions would be Toby Threadgill's Shindo Yoshin ryu and Don Angier's art.

My opinion only,

Ron

Ron Tisdale
-----------------------
"The higher a monkey climbs, the more you see of his behind."
St. Bonaventure (ca. 1221-1274)