View Single Post
Old 08-11-2003, 02:11 PM   #36
Corey
Dojo: Kai Shin Kai Chesterfield, MO
I know that the ukemi in my dojo is lacking and I am glad this subject is being discussed. The reason I know it needs improvement is that I witnessed a street fight a few days ago. Just through observation, I could see that my training is not sufficient at all for the preparation of dealing with real commited attacks one will encounter in these situations. I study aikido for self-defense. I don't want to waste my time dancing around with people and fooling myself into believing I can actually defend myself. I want to know that when I do my technique I actually DID it. If there is a weakness in my technique and the uke has a chance to recover then by all means they should counter. That is a more realistic reaction. I realize that the dojo is not ever going to be the same as fighting in a street, but I want people to actually try to hit me with real commitment and force. If they do this then I can become more accustomed to an attack of this nature, rather than getting scared and losing my center. I myself have been trying to be a better uke. Weak attacks as uke translate into weak atemi as nage. Maybe we should all try to think of being uke and being nage as two great opportunites to strengthen all aspects of our own techniques. As a woman, I want strong, commited attacks by my uke. I don't want a watered-down attack as it does me more of a disservice than anything. This is a MARTIAL art--not the Ice Capades. That's my two cents worth.

Knowing others is wisdom;
Knowing the self is enlightment.
Mastering others requires force;
Mastering the self needs strength.
~Lao Tzu