View Single Post
Old 08-06-2003, 01:25 PM   #11
Don_Modesto
Dojo: Messores Sensei (Largo, Fl.)
Re: The misconception of "budo"?

Quote:
Iriawan Kamal Thalib (Thalib) wrote:
The kanji "bu" () consists of two parts:

1. The top part, according to the dictionary, is actually either "hoko" () that translates to halberd or "igurumi" (T) that translates to arrow with weighted cord. Basically, it means weapon (arms).

2. The bottom part is "tome" (~) which could translate to stop.

Let's split them up, top to bottom, they'll read "hoko-dome" (~). Putting it this way, the word could mean "stop arms" or "to stop arms". Could "bu" be translated this way?

In conclusion, "budou", in my opinion, translates to "the martial way" only because it's use during war times. It has become a jargon that identifies itself to "martial arts" or "the art of self-defense". Therefore "budou", from my point of view, translates to "the way of stopping arms" which could then be taken as "the way of non-aggression" or "the way of peace".

What do you think?
Peter Goldsbury has written at length on this. Indeed, some of the dictionaries he checked explicitly referred to this interpretation ("stop arms" or "to stop arms") as wrong--something about mnemonics confusing the issue or change in meaning of the kanji over time. I'm searching the boards now to find the URL; I don't have it with me, it's on my handheld, but I'll try to remember to post it tomorrow as adamantly denies this meaning.

Thanks for the erudite post.

Don J. Modesto
St. Petersburg, Florida
------------------------
http://www.theaikidodojo.com/