View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 03:13 AM   #13
happysod
Dojo: Kiburn, London, UK
United Kingdom
Thank you ahmed, excellent point elegantly put.

Stereotyping is a natural short-hand which we're all guilty of. Unfortunately, all it ever does is feed on itself and reinforce the stereotypes you are using. The "stereotype A signifies danger" is one of the more compelling and easy to fall into. However, using this stereotyping will nicely reinforce the stereotype as "convict type" or "not my skin-colour" reactions will bring out the worst in the person you're projecting them on as they will pick up on your hostillity and (if they do actually fit the niche you're expecting) will react accordingly.

Suggestions on what to use instead? Look at the situation you're in rather than the "types" you see. Dark alley + group of people normally boosts my awareness regardless of the groups make-up etc. I suppose it all depends on the level of risk you're willing to accept.

Wynand, I do have sympathy for your problems Wynand, areas of SA sound like an on-going war zone and so some paranoia is not only understandable, but probably needed. I just hope you can find a balance between shutting yourself off behind a wall and not becoming a statistic.