View Single Post
Old 07-22-2003, 05:16 AM   #12
justinm
United Kingdom
Quote:
Opher Donchin (opherdonchin) wrote:
Let's take this to an extreme: I will try to do shihonage so that I'm barely even moving and uke gets to move at whatever speed he or she wants. In fact, let's say I'm not moving at all. Clearly, uke will have no difficulty contorting their body, releasing the pressure on their arm and punching my lights out.
Aha - now we differ. This is my point. Uke should not be able to contort their body to release the pressure as this means there is a hole in the technique. Otherwise your technique relies on the fact that uke cannot move faster than you in reality.

In my dojo we teach shihonage to beginners as a step by step movement. At every step, we stop ie "not moving at all" - to look at how uke is controlled. If they can escape there is no control and the technique, in our view, is not right. So it sounds like we have different approaches to shihonage.

In some other techniques the control is different - we look to give uke only one way to recover which leads him to where we want. However, again it is not relying on speed to work.

Difficult to discuss in writing, this stuff! I'll work on it with the class tonight and see if I get anywhere...