View Single Post
Old 07-17-2003, 01:09 AM   #28
David Yap
Malaysia
Hi Ian,

Quote:
Ian Hurst (happysod) wrote:
How would you make the training "more realistic", with particular reference to the attacks etc. ?
Primary reference to Budo at all times -- short & sweet.
Quote:
Where do you feel aikido is lacking in that martial feeling in general. If it has not been your intention to intimate this, apologies.
Aikido the art is not lacking in martial feeling. It just lacks teachers who have Budo feelings and principles. In the old days the teachers chose the students, these days, the students choose the teachers. Realistically, a number of them take the business route and teach accordingly.
Quote:
I'm honestly just curious as you indicate you've spent many a year pondering these areas and you're too damn far to get you drunk and ask direct.
I will gladly have some drinks with you the next time I'm in London but you need not get me drunk for answers. FYI, I have stopped pondering on these areas sometime ago.
Quote:
I'd also love you to ask what keeps you coming back to aikido (oh yes and why you haven't started your own dojo using your principals). But as these come under the heading of "too personal" I'll probably have to just keep guessing...(?)
I liken Aikido to golf (or even pool). You keep on going for it for no apparent reason; every game you played was different. As on the golf courses or in the poolrooms you are bound to come across some hustlers, similarly you would too in Aikido and other martial arts. (In MA, we term such hustlers as "Grasshopper Sensei" or "Medicine Man" or in the Malay language "Cari Makan" or "Cari Reseki" literary mean "to search for food"). Some in the martial art disciplines (more so in Aikido -- I noticed) would go for their yudansha and then choose either to disassociate from their teachers or start a new dojo or stop training all together. I took a different route, I chose not to grade. You can say I chose not to grade because of association. My thought on this may have changed as many of my peers have convinced me that I should grade for myself and not for others.

On the subject of golf and Aikido, You would notice that when you hit the "soft-spot" of the ball, you felt as if you have hit a sponge as the ball compressed and flied off with such tremendous force and speed. This is something that you look forward to dreaming of each time you tee-off. In Aikido, you enjoy every moment when your objective is met successfully with minimal effort utilised on your part. Your Uke goes down, then gets up and say, "Wow, I didn't feel that coming". When you train with the knowledge and discipline of Aikido principles and fundaments you never miss this feeling. This is the feeling that I wish my fellow otagani can have. I hate it when people are so expressive with their techniques that use full body/physical power to bring down their Uke, then apologise to their Uke and have the cheeks to say that's Aikido. IMHO, that's the problem when a teacher makes a weak statement -- AIKIDO CAN MEAN DIFFERENT THING TO DIFFERENT PEOPLE.

Still searching ...

David