View Single Post
Old 01-17-2001, 03:21 AM   #3
Matt Banks
Ikkyo tips

Well I train in YOSHINKAN AIKIDO I you got Dynamic Aikido by Gozo Shioda buy Total Aikido by Gozo Shioda its the one were all issued with its in colour, and it really good. In Yoshinkan we like to break it down so here are my tips for ikkyo.

1) When applying make sure you take uke elbow right through his head

2) make sure when applying at the same time you step to 45 degrees as in shomatsu dosa ich.

3) when bringing the arm through and turning to 45 derees turn your head in the same direction aswell, because Gozo Shioda always said 'the head defines the hips which defones the body' but in japanese.

4) Once youve got uke on his/her knee

(if you did a righ hand side ikkyo) draw your left foot next to your right leading foot , (BUT DONT RAISE YOUR HIPS) then as turn you hips in the same direction as the straight arm youve got hold of is facing, then like your sweeping the floor with a broom using your hips drive uke to the floor. We find it helps to try and do this in know more than 3 steps, and count ich, ni , san in your head or out load to make it positive.

For the pin make sure your legs are separating the arm but there is still not tention in them. When applying pressure to the arm dont use your arm to apply pin spread your knees more using your centre to apply pressure, have your gaze at 45 degrees from floor, this allows you to have good zanshin but still maintain good posture by not raising your head to far up.

key point for take down.

TAKE ELBOW THROUGH HEAD, BUT ALWAYS MAINTAIN UNBENDABLE ARM.

TURN HIPS TO 45 DEGREES, AND TURN HEAD ASWELL TO DEFINE BODY MOVEMENT.

NEVER RAISE HIPS.

hope this help

Matt Banks

''Zanshin be aware hold fast your centre''