Thread: pressure points
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2001, 02:55 AM   #21
RobTrim
Dojo: Kai Shin Kai
Hi Stu,

I think I qualify for knowing more about kyusho, if only slightly! It's been a study of mine for some time now.

You indicated some 'vital areas' that you would target with atemi; the neck, thigh, knee, bicep etc.. The trouble with this broad area striking is that you're relying on 'brute force' - by that I don't necessarily mean you're using a lot of force, but merely that there is no science or method behind it. You also talk about hitting these places to disrupt Ki. Now where-as you may momentarily cause them to mentally pause, it will not necessarily disrupt their Ki.

I'll give you an example: I was once in a bar with some friends, when a fight broke out and several large bouncers stormed into the middle of it to break it up. In the middle of this one small guy decides to start fighting the Bouncer closest to him. Now I'll give you the stats; Bouncer - 6'2" (approx), 240lbs, obviously with some combat training. Guy - 5'8", 140lbs, no obvious training (from the random way he was swingin'!!). Well the bouncer is obviously annoyed by this little guy, cocks his right hand back and unleashes the most wicked looking right hook I've ever seen, which lands sweetly with an audible thud on the left side of the guys face. What happened next? Did the guy go down? KO? ...none of the above, he merely blinked once and carried on fighting - it later took a headlock to restrain him!

My point is this; all those areas which you pointed out are easily accessible either before, during or after an Aikido technique. Just using the bicep as an example, you have two prime pp's - Pericardium 2 and Heart 2 or P-2 & H-2. The former of which lies dead centre on the bicep about a third of the way up from the elbow and is activated by being struck directly in to the bone. This causes dizziness, lowered blood pressure and even in extreme cases unconsciousness. Its a perfect first atemi for defence against a hook or round house punch.

In fact every one of the areas you defined have numerous points and it would only take a slight adjustment to your training to be aware of them. Even if you then miss the point during a fight, you are still effecting the surrounding areas.

Regards,

Rob