View Single Post
Old 07-07-2003, 02:53 PM   #21
shihonage
United_States
Quote:
Chris Gee (Kensai) wrote:
I've only been doing Aikido just over a year myself, but I think being the "new" person can be very intemidating.

The thing I find most difficult is training in something like Kote Gaeshi. They are told not to resist but enjoy the exercise. So when it comes to the point that I put on the lock they are all stiff.

So being the good hearted person I am I dont put it on. So then they say to me, but in "real" life.... blah blah.... I can only think to myself "be that stiff with me in real life and I'll break you".
Kotegaeshi-undo is an exercise.

Kotegaeshi itself is a technique.

If different beginner students consistently behave in the same way (i.e. successfully resist your lock), then you are not doing the technique correctly.

Take them off their feet first, and while they're scrambling to regain their balance, stiffening their wrist will be the last of their concerns.

Quote:
Dave Miller wrote:
I know what you mean, Opher. For me, I think the big thing is whether or not the person is there to learn. I sometimes encounter students who are simply there to try and "out do" you by attempting to thwart every technique by their resistence or lack of committment. This can be true of beginners or "non-beginners."
I think this usually happens because the idea of proper ukemi is never properly explained.

I used to do this "outdo" thing quite a lot in the past, because I thought that it was correct to train that way.

I didn't realize the important of honest attack, and that I was just doing a disservice to myself and to nage when constantly giving limp, unrealistic attacks and resisting in a direction where they're about to go.

It saddens me to see that quite a lot of people appear to be doing it still.

Last edited by shihonage : 07-07-2003 at 02:57 PM.