View Single Post
Old 01-11-2001, 02:57 PM   #37
bones
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Jesus practiced aikido too...

Quote:

Not quite so. There's also logical thought. We can take what we know and deduce other things from it.
There's nothing special about logical thought. Logic arises from cognitive metaphor of basic perceptual schema, in the context of neural physiology. Platonism died with modern biology and cognitive science. Translation: we can take what we think we know and imagine things about it.

Quote:

For example, we know that according to physical law, all physical things come from something else. Nothing physical can just be, but requires something else to create it, generate it, bring it into existence, etc. ...
What physical law would this be? I have a Ph.D. in physics and I have never heard of it. What is a 'physical thing'?

Quote:

else we would have an infinite cycle of something creating the thing before it, creating the thing before it, yet never knowing where that ended.
Is time itself not a 'physical thing'? This notion of 'before' is too simplistic to address questions about the origin of the universe.

I have no problem if people want to believe in metaphysical things. Not everyone is going to spend the decades it requires to understand the boundaries of our knowledge (not that I necessarily do). But I don't like to see people pass such arguments off on others. Science obviously does not have an answer to every question, but this is almost always because its a bad question to begin with... and never, ever anywhere does it conclude or even suggest there must be 'something beyond' the physical.

-e preston