Thread: Back foot flat?
View Single Post
Old 07-02-2003, 02:51 PM   #18
Kevin Wilbanks
Ron,

If you don't want to get into a pissing match, why did you reply to my posts using vague dismissive tactics and not engage the content?

Telling someone to go read a book is a bit lame. If you understand the book well enough to know that it contains information to correct or contradict what I say, then you should be able convery the information briefly in your own words. If not, how do you know it would even be useful to refer me there?

Likewise, telling me to go watch some advanced people who purportedly espouse never putting the weight in the heels is also lame. I could be positively amazed, and afterwards they could tell me they never put more than an ounce of bodyweight on their heels throughout, but it would still prove nothing. If I'm not just going to blindly take your word for it, I'm not going to take theirs.

As far as how nice I am or am not, I don't see how that's relevant to the discussion.

As far as the pudding sayings go, they may both be commonly used, but only one makes any sense.

Roger,

If you take a look at some Ikeda Sensei videos, you will see him pivoting on his heels. I've never seen him move "too late".

Also, I am aware that fencers and kendoka stay up on their toes. However, as you say, their movement is mostly linear, not spontaneously omnidirectional. Even more important, they don't really have to absorb or transfer much force when they strike or block, they are just looking for a light tap. I just don't see how one can push or throw someone, especially with certain techniques like koshinage, with virtually all the weight on the balls of the feet.

Last edited by Kevin Wilbanks : 07-02-2003 at 03:02 PM.