Thread: both sides
View Single Post
Old 06-25-2003, 05:42 PM   #2
Thalib

Dojo: 合気研究会
Indonesia
When I'm leading a class, I would do my best to explain the role of uke. The best way of doing that is being uke myself.

There's a total beginner class every Sunday afternoon, and my Sensei wants me and my fellow seniors to take the class. When I'm explaining a technique I break it up into different parts (almost like the Yoshinkan way of doing it).

When I'm nage, I explain the different parts of being nage. When I'm uke, I explain what is the role of uke in each of those broken up steps. I explain why the uke react the way they do.

I always explain time and time again that uke is not a punching bag that the nage could throw around. Uke is suppose to be active not passive. When uke doesn't fall, uke doesn't fall. But many misunderstood this, they think that by saying that, uke should block the technique and hold his ground and stay static.

When I'm uke I show the reason why uke follow through, one of them is uke wants another chance for an attack. It is shown by the reaction of the uke that the uke is maintaining connection and keeping himself stabilized to prepare for another attack. It's not dancing, there's a reason why uke follow through, uke's role is to attack in any circumstances.

When I have to die by the sword, I will do so with honor.
--------
http://funkybuddha.multiply.com/